The main menu for The Working Sheepdog Website – find that page you’re looking for!
Click a heading below to see links on that topic.
Free articles about how to train a working farm dog to herd sheep, cattle, and other livestock.
SHEEPDOG TRAINING VIDEOS
Videos are available to paying members – sign-up now!
- Training videos preview – watch the video about our online sheepdog training tutorials.
- Signup for full tutorial membership – choose a membership plan and currency to pay in.
- Signup for a FREE tutorial video – watch one of our training videos FREE!
- (Members) watch the FREE tutorial – go to the FREE sheepdog training video.
- Video tutorials library – Scroll through a list of our online sheepdog training videos.
- Tutorials library (alphabetical list) – our online training videos in alphabetical order.
- Training tutorials news – announcements and news of our online videos.
- Tutorial categories – the full list of sheepdog training video categories.
- Testimonials for our tutorials – read what some of our members say about our videos.
- Online tutorials vs DVD comparison – which is better for you, DVD or Online videos?
- Training assessment videos – send a video of your dog working for our FREE assessment.
TRAINING VIDEO TOPICS
We’re grouping our tutorials by topic so that you can find all the ones which cover the subject you’re interested in. Currently under construction – more coming very soon.
- Confined Spaces – Working in pens, yards and buildings is stressful for trainee dogs.
- Sheepdog Whistle – How to blow a shepherd’s whistle, and get your dog working to it.
- Working Distance – The space between a sheepdog and its stock is important.
- Working Instinct – Without the working, herding or hunting instinct, dogs don’t herd stock.
Important: Login to your account so the system knows whose details to change, then use links at the top of the Welcome Page.
- Update PayPal details – (login, then use the links at the top of the Welcome Page).
- Update Credit Card details – (login, then use the links at the top of the Welcome Page).
- Cancel PayPal Payments – (login, then use the links at the top of the Welcome Page).
- Cancel Credit Card payments – (login, then use the links at the top of the Welcome Page).
- Change your Email address – (login, then use the links at the top of the Welcome Page).
Links to our Frequently Asked Questions about sheepdog training, dog obedience, and farm animals.
TRAINING OR WORK PROBLEMS (Also see General Questions below).
- Attacking cattle – find out how to control your dog when it’s working.
- Biting sheep’s faces – a fairly easily-fixed confidence problem.
- Calling away from stock – get your dog to come away from sheep or cattle.
- Darting at sheep if they move – the dog’s “getting the idea”, but needs guidance!
- Dog won’t go round the sheep – get your dog to go round sheep and bring them to you.
- Flank around stock both ways – it’s important to get the dog working in both directions.
- Flanking too wide around stock – find out how to get your dog to work closer to the stock.
- Get sheep away from fences – move the sheep to where the dog can go around them.
- Outrun – What is the best way of improving a bad outrun?
- Send the dog from your side – setting the dog up for an outrun.
- Slow the dog down – learn to work the dog quietly, and keep it calm.
- Stopping sheep going into pen – why the dog does this, and how to stop it.
- Stop shouting at the dog – learn to work the dog quietly, and keep it calm.
- Speed the dog up – if the dog works too slowly, here’s how to speed it up!
- Splitting sheep – how to encourage the dog to keep the sheep together.
- Tail position – how the dog carries its tail as it works, tells us a lot.
- Working without commands – such as at the top of the outrun.
- Work a flock of sheep – moving on to work big bunches of sheep.
- Age to start training a sheepdog – What is the right age to train a working farm sheepdog?
- Barking – find out why the dog barks, and how to stop it.
- Beginner with a trained dog – working with a dog who knows more than you!
- Buy more than one puppy – Is it OK, or is there a reason not to?
- Blue Heeler dogs – you probably know more about them than we do!
- Chasing cars – and anything else that moves.
- Different reactions of sheep near dogs – why sheep respond differently to some dogs.
- Familiarising dogs with sheep – it’s great to get the dog used to sheep, find out how.
- Fear of sheep or cattle – what to do if your cattle dog’s afraid of livestock.
- Good recall – train your dog to come back when you call. ⇧
- Huntaway dogs – you probably know more about them than we do!
- Killing sheep – what to do with a dog which has killed sheep.
- Living in the house – will it ‘spoil’ the dog’s farm work?
- Older dogs – can you teach an old dog new tricks?
- Retirement age for the dog – at what age should we retire our dogs?
- Will the dog work sheep? – signs to look for, and how to encourage the dog.
Links to the free videos on this site.
- Carew’s BIG outrun – watch Carew’s first big outrun, more than 500 mtrs.
- Carew shows how to pen sheep. Carew pens some sheep without any help.
- Dulcie working at Dean Farm – Dulcie gathers sheep in the early morning.
- Kay in the ‘Black Hole’ at Dean Farm. How to get sheep out of a tight place.
- Agility Champion Tinka Tia’s final run in canine agility.
- Scylla and Oliver (they say possession is nine-tenths of the law…).
- Sheepdog vs stubborn sheep – Carew wins, by using patient determination.
- Carew’s BAD outrun. Carew goes the wrong way at a sheepdog trial – or does she?
- Maverick Media viral advert – ‘Dirty Tackle‘ – Watch our Mel playing the star role!
- Maddie and Ezra’s puppies at play – just a fun glimpse of some lovely BC pups.
- How you can save a sheep’s life. Without help, a sheep on its back will die.
- Our favourite Border Collie videos – a collection of great Border Collie videos.
- Border Collie Sheepdogs – Off Duty! The trailer for our first video about our dogs.
- Border Collie Sheepdogs & Friends – Still Off Duty! The sequel to ‘Off Duty’
- First Steps in Border Collie Sheepdog Training. Our first Sheepdog Training DVD.
DOGS FOR SALE
Link to find out if we have any sheepdogs for sale.
- Sheepdogs & pups for sale – we occasionally have puppies or dogs for sale.
ARTICLES AND BLOGS
Links to our articles and blog pages about our dogs and their training.
- How you can save a sheep’s life – a sheep on it’s back will die without help.
- Training articles – sheepdog training – sheepdog training articles (see below).
- Training tips & advice – tips and advice to help you train your sheep dog.
- Sheepdog training FAQ – frequently asked sheepdog training questions.
- Sheepdog terminology (traditional) – words related to farming with dogs.
- Kelpie vs collie training comparison – which is better, a Collie or a Kelpie?
- Relevant sheepdog skills & prices – a rough guide to sheepdog prices (UK).
- Puppy care & training – advice for puppy owners.
- Puppy FAQ – frequently asked questions about puppies.
- Animal welfare – Andy’s strong views about the Kennel Club.
- Support farming & agriculture – UK farmers need our support.
SHEEPDOG TRAINING ARTICLES
Links to our free articles on the subject of how to train a working farm dog to herd sheep, cattle, and other livestock.
- Training – 1 Introduction
- Training – 2 Basic training requirements
- Training – 3 Why sheepdogs work
- Training – 4 Definition of a sheepdog
- Training – 5 A dog is for life…
- Training – 6 Bond with your dog
- Training – 7 Firm fair & consistent
- Training – 8 Never punish a dog for coming back
- Training – 9 Welcome your dog back
- Training – 10 ‘Reading’ your dog’s mind
- Training – 11 Careful thought, to cure problems
- Training – 12 Control your temper
- Training – 13 Don’t blame the dog
- Training – 14 What does a sheepdog do?
- Training – 15 Started sheepdog or puppy?
- Training – 16 ISDS registered or farm dog?
- Training – 17 Choosing a part-trained dog
- Training – 18 Chasing cars & other things
- Training – 19 Suitable housing for dogs
- Training – 20 Correct food for your dog
- Training – 21 Spend time with your dog
- Training – 22 Traditional sheepdog commands
- Training – 23 What happens when you start?
- Training – 24 A dog’s first encounter with sheep
- Training – 25 The supermarket trolley!
- Training – 26 The ‘Magic Cord’
- Training – 27 Teaching a dog to stop
- Training – 28 Gripping or biting sheep
- Training – 29 Dogs with ‘too much eye’
- Training – 30 Teaching the dog to drive sheep
- Training – 31 Sheepdog trials
- Training – 32 What happens at sheepdog trials?
Links to our blogs and articles about great dogs we’ve known.
- Great dogs we’ve known – read about some of the best dogs we have known.
- Bronwen – a truly exceptional sheepdog.
- Mel – probably the best of them all! – Mel never failed to get the job done!
- Cammen Kay – our unsung hero! – Kay was always there to help, and gave her best.
- Little Dot, – Andy’s first sheepdog turned into a surprisingly good farm dog.
- Pearl, lovely sheepdog, great mum – one of our earliest dogs. Fondly remembered.
- Our favourite border collie videos – a collection of Border Collie videos we love to watch.
- A sheepdog to remember, Roy ISDS 200199 – One of the best sheepdogs we ever saw.
- Carew, the best sheepdog we’ve had? – Carew was sensitive but powerful and highly skilled.
- Novice trials champion, Glen 238575 – a true ‘gentleman’ among dogs, and a great worker.
- Derek Scrimgeour’s Ben 220939 – a tremendous hill and trial dog.
- Denise Wilkinson’s agility star, Tia 267931 – our tribute to a remarkable agility dog.
- Our dogs in TV & video productions – our dogs take a break from sheepdog training!
Links to our general blog posts.
- Our dogs at work – read blog posts about our dogs doing farm work.
- Our dogs in sheepdog trials – find out how our dogs fare in sheepdog trials.
- Training tips & advice – tips and advice to help you train your sheep dog.
- Training tutorial news – news of our online training videos.
- Our sheepdogs & puppies – read the blog posts about our dogs and pups.
- Alfie’s blog – Alfie the pedigree chihuahua – our token sheepdog has his say!
- Sheep – blog posts we’ve written about sheep (bless their little woolly socks)!
- Kennel club RANT! – Andy’s strong views about the Kennel Club‘s lack of care for dogs.
- Pic of the day – blog posts which feature some of our favourite pictures.
Links to our DVDs
- Full list of DVDs in our shop
- Full list of sheepdog training DVDs
- First Steps in Border Collie Sheepdog Training
- Sheepdog Training Tutorials (volume 1)
- Sheepdog Training Tutorials (volume 2)
- Sheepdog Training Tutorials (volume 3)
- Sheepdog Training Tutorials (volume 4)
- The Natural Way
- All Children & Family Entertainment DVDs
- Farming, Rural History & Countryside DVDs
- The Dog Listener – Highly Recommended dog behaviour training DVD!
- Online tutorials vs DVD comparison – which is better, DVD or Online sheepdog training videos?
Links to other pages on The Working Sheepdog Website
- Contact us – send us your message.
- About us – find out about the Working Sheepdog website, and the people who run it.
- Links & resources – some useful links related to dogs.
- Terms, conditions & private policy – the ‘small print’.
- Our grateful thanks go out to WordPress
Thank you for visiting the Main Menu for The Working Sheepdog Website